Private Sector Solutions
We succeed when grantees and investees demonstrate how the private sector can expand coverage of quality health and education. Our Investments in this Focus Area are concentrated in Southern Africa, Eastern Africa, and special opportunities in Western Africa.
See detailed investment criteria for this Focus Area...
We invest in organizations—both for-profit and non-profit—implementing these approaches:
- Grow and strengthen private companies focused on improving access to and quality of health and education
- Support private-sector delivery of models and tools that demonstrate improved access or quality in education and health
- Strengthen capacity of governments to engage with the private sector for the benefit of children’s health and education
- Develop and implement effective public-private partnerships for education and health
We measure these outcomes to assess our impact:
- Greater understanding and uptake of private-sector solutions to access, equity, and quality
- Growth, financial sustainability, and social impact of companies and funds in which we invest
Project support to support Ministry of Education and Sports to execute two key education reform priorities: to revise and improve their public private partnership policy at secondary level, and to provide options of cost effective pre-primary provision
Investment in a private company that has established a chain of affordable primary schools reaching a market segment that currently has few quality options. SPARK uses a blended learning model with highly trained teachers and technology to keep costs under control.
The ELMA Foundation
The ELMA Relief Foundation
The ELMA Growth Foundation
The ELMA Music Foundation
The ELMA Vaccines & Immunization Foundation
The ELMA South Africa Foundation